During the oil boom, thousands of workers, businesmen, and families moved to Humble to find their fortunes in the oil field. There was not enough housing for everyone. Many people had to either live in tents out on the oil lease, in hastily erected shacks, or at hotels/boarding houses.
The Lone Star Hotel originally opened as the Bender Hotel, run by brothers Frank & Eugene Bender. The hotel was on a plot of land 100 feet sqaure, located on the west side of the railroad tracks.
The Benders sold the hotel to Andy and Martha Sayers in July 1908. The Sayers renamed it as the Lone Star Hotel.
A garden at the rear of the hotel provided fresh produce for the hotel guests.
The hotel was demolished during the early 1940s, and a large two-story brick home was constructed on the site by Martha's son, Matt Sayers.
Started in 1905 by Bill and Nancy "Granny" Pangburn, Mrs. Pangburn's Boarding House was a landmark at Moonshine Hill, and many oil millionaires dined at her table. Room and board was $1 per day. A single meal was 35 cents. Granny Pangburn continued to run the boarding house until her death in 1933.
Ada Payne was widowed when she was 49 years old. To help make ends meet, she purchased lots on Granberry Street and had a boarding house built. She managed the establishment until her death in September, 1938.
From the old Gary Hotel. The hotel was located where the old Treadwell building now stands. The hotel had eight rooms upstairs and a pitcher was in each room.