This letter carrier jacket and leather mail satchel were used by Lud Singleton. Mail satchels are an over-the-shoulderbag that letter carriers used while delivering mail along a route.
Humble was named for the town’s first U. S. Postmaster, Pleasant Smith Humble, who ran the post office out of his home.
Over its long history, the Humble Post Office has been located (1) in an old train car, (2) inside the Bender commissary, (3) inside the Pangburn building, and many other locations.
A Post Office building was located on Higgins Street at Railroad Avenue from 1963 through 1981.
The current U. S. Post Office at 1202 1st Street E opened in 1981. In 2006, it was renamed as the Lillian McKay Post Office Building, in honor of former museum curator and First Lady of Humble, Lillian McKay.
Card catalogs were used by the post office to keep records of the local addresses and their residents. The plaque on top is the original dedication plaque for the Lillian McKay Post Office Building.